Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Long Day Means a Long Post

Yesterday, me (Scezzle), my younger sister (Fern), my younger brother (Snow wolf), and my older brother (Rocky), went to my grandparents house. My mom was going to some homeschool convention. There me, Fern, and my Oma made rollkuchen--a yummy dough rolled out, twisted, then fried in hot oil. So good.

Rollkuchen. Not my pic.

   Everyone was in high spirits as we dug in. Even before lunch, Oma noticed my fingers wandering to the pile of fresh rollkuchen--without my knowing!
We eat them dipped in jam or corn syrup, and with fresh watermelon.

On the topic of watermelon, one thing I found interesting is what my Opa said about watermelon in Paraguay, where he used to live. He says watermelon in Paraguay is better than here. He said that his brother once just jabbed a knife into the watermelon, and it split in half! I have never seen a watermelon do that. My Oma told us that in Paraguay, they would go into the watermelon feilds, pick a watermelon, and all they had to do was kick it in the middle and it would split in half! Wow. That was a jaw dropper for me.

After that we made fruit salad, with grapes, strawberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, banana, and added some concentrated orange juice. My dad just loves fruit salad, so we were joking that we'd have to eat the whole thing before he did! When we were going to put in a container to bring home, I said to Fern as I stuffed a strawberry into my mouth "Now don't eat anymore."
This morning I ate the leftovers for breakfast. Yum.

We also made chicken schnitzel--breaded chicken, fried in oil--yet again. It was fun but dirty work. They tasted so good!
Chicken Schnitzel. Not my pic.
My Opa had some interesting stories to tell us.
   He told us that once, he and his dad found a dead cow that a jaguar had killed. They knew it would come back to eat it, so later that day they came back to try and kill it, and sure enough, the jaguar was there, eating. But it heard them and ran away. So my Opa's dad took some kind of poison and put it in the meat of the cow. Days later they saw vultures flying in the sky and they found the dead jaguar.
   My Opa also told us of cow they had had, that they let run wild. One time when there was a drought, the herd of cattle that their cow was with came into the village, looking for water. So my Opa got his friends, and a night and shone a flashlight around and found it. My Opa told us that they had wide streets in Paraguay, and so the cow was on one side, and they were on the other. So while one of his friends shone the flashlight in the cow's eyes, my Opa got around and lassoed it around a horn, a head, and one leg. It had probably just reared. Then all his friend came to help him bring it to the water trough. He said it took weeks to tame it.
   My Oma had some stories to tell too. She said that he mom, my great grandma that recently died, made a gross soup with buttermilk and dumplings. She said whenever her mom made it, she said "I'm not hungry tonight." She said it was sour, and the cream was separating from the milk. Yuck! My Opa hadn't been listening, so he asked what we were talking about. When my Oma told him, we all laughed as he made a face.

We jumped on the trampoline and took a swing every once in a while throughout the day. I had so much fun, but the fun wasn't over yet.

Me and Maddy, along with the youth group, and the junior youth group, went to the ocean for a walk. At first I didn't want to go, but Maddy did, but she wouldn't go unless I did. I didn't want to disappoint her, so I went. And I had the time of my life! There was this big park that we walked around, and we stopped at a beach for a while. One guy had brought a soccer ball, so I kicked it around a bit, then rolled up my jeans to go play around in the water a bit. I found shells, one even had barnacles on it, and me and one of my friends played with the waves. When I big one came we would run backwards to avoid getting our pant wet. It was so fun! I would've liked to stay there longer. After that it was walking and pictures, walking and scenery, and more walking. Oh, and a raccoon. We saw a raccoon. Never seen a raccoon in real life. But boy, I was pooped by the end of the day. I nearly fell asleep in the bus on the way back. I slouched down closed my eyes, and leaned my head against the window. When ever something interesting happened though, my head would pop up. We stopped for Mcdonalds and I got an Oreo Mcflurry and me, Maddy, and our other friend shared a pack of medium fries.

I think I ate most of them. *Blushes guiltily* They weren't eating them anyways.

1 comment:

  1. Well, aren't you glad I made you come? :)

    Rallkuchen is YUMMY!

    I think you're going to like the surprise I have for you! :)

    ReplyDelete