Friday, November 26, 2010

Devo (Short for devotion, but I don't think this devo's very short)

Thanksgiving Devo

I listened to the radio late last night and, considering it's a station in the USA, they were talking about thanksgiving and being thankful. (I think we should be thankful more than just one day of the year) This is part of what they said (In my own words) and a little that I added myself. This story's from some part in the Bible, I'm not really sure where though.

There was a widow and she had no money and no food, except a little flour and oil. He son was dying from starvation.
A prophet (I forget which) came and asked for a drink of water. She drew some water from the well and gave it to him. Then he asked for some food. She said, well, I'm sorry, but I have no food but a little flour and oil.
The prophet said, If you will make me some bread, your flour and oil will not run out.
The woman figured she could make a little bit of bread for herself and son, and a little for the man, so she started to make some bread.
As the prophet had said, the flour and oil didn't run out.
Months past, maybe even years, the bible doesn't say, the flour and oil didn't run out, but the widows son became sick, not from starvation, but from another illness, and died.
The woman goes to the prophet and says, why did you save my son from starvation if he was just going to die of another illness?
So the prophet bows over the widows son and prays, the Lord brings the boy back to life.
The widow says, now I know that you are a true man of God.

What? NOW? NOW she knows he is a man of God and that God will help you? NOW? For months, maybe even years, she has had a never ending food supply. But only NOW does she believe.
You see, we thank God for all the big things he does, but we forget to thank him for the little things. Like food. We get so used to  having it, it's an everyday miracle.

My youth leader said that when she was younger, she had waited for God to do some thing amazing in her life, like some huge miracle. She is looking for some thing amazing that he does. She prayed that God would do something miraculous in her life. Finally, she went to her dad and told him about it. He asked her if she had eaten anything that day. She said yes, she had. He asked her if she had slept in a bed with a roof over her head. She said yes, but that wasn't what she meant. He said, there's your miracle. You have food, many people have no food. They have Nothing to eat. You had a bed and a nice place to sleep in, a shelter. Many people have no home, they have to sleep on the ground in the middle of no-where.

We look for all the big things God does in our lives. Look at what you have. THERE is your miracle. It's not some one being amazingly raised from the dead, it's not some one being magically healed. But it's a miracle.
Are you breathing? Do you have food? Do you have a nice bed? Do you have a roof over your head? THERE is your miracle.

5 comments:

  1. I like your devos. Kind of like camp, right? :) And Kayla? (I had to rub it in).
    What book do you get your devos out of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but I'm hoping they're better. All we talked about at camp was uncomfortable.
    Rub it in, rub it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get them out of a book, I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla! Kayla! Kayla! Kayla! Kayla!
    Why were you uncomfortable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know who else this reminds me of?
    Hint: HIS name starts with a J. And he was a leader.

    ReplyDelete