Sunday, April 7, 2013

Why does tap water from the bathroom taste better than tap water from the kitchen?

This is not just my imagination. I have mentioned this to a handful of people that freak out and say with triumph: "I knew I wasn't the only one!" And then we get into a very animated discusion on why we think it is that way.
Now, I have a couple theories about this, so hear me out.

Firstly, I have heard that you bathroom water pipes are often closest to the main water source, and therefore, because they travel a smaller distance through the pipes, it tastes better, You know, less like water pipes, backed up sewage and such.

I also think, possibly, that all that hand cleaning that goes on some how cleans the pipes and makes the water taste fresher and cleaner. Then again, if that was the case, our bathroom water might taste a little like soap.
Or maybe, because of all the yucky stuff that happens in bathrooms, more chlorine  is some how added to the water and that makes it taste cleaner. Then again, maybe chlorine doesn't actually taste all that great.

But maybe it isn't the bathroom water that tastes better, but the kitchen water that tastes worse. You know all that left over meat loaf that no one ends up eating or the vegetables you know you should eat but you some how manage to fill you stomach before you get to them? Maybe they some how get backed up into the system!

Of course, not everyone shares my opinion on tap water. My mother, for instance, doesn't like bathroom water. She thinks it's perhaps because the sink happens to be right next to the toilet.
But who knows? This is one of life's great mysteries that may never be solved.

3 comments:

  1. Wow I thought I was imagining it! It really does taste better in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, check it out: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-water-from-the-b

    ReplyDelete
  3. *shrugs* At my house the water is hooked up to a well. Tastes the same in the bathroom or the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete